SAKAT Headline Animator

SAKAT

Monday, October 12, 2009

SHOULD I GIVE TO BEGGARS?

In school, some of my students asked me whether they should give to beggars. I said no. I have learned that "beggars are better dead" (Words of Wisdom, Old Testament). But, If you have some jobs for them to do, let them do the work. Do not be bothered whether the work is light or heavy, or that it will just take fewer hours than what you will have to pay. Right before they could dry up their hands, pay them for the day's work.

Further, the students insisted, what if we do not have any work for them to do. I said, then, do not give. Is this not greed? They asked. I said no, if you too did not take more than what you need. If you have only what you need to live for a day, then, there is no mistake in that. But, if you have hoarded, that is another story. Rather than keeping your money in can, let it grow and multiply. Many will no longer beg because they will find work and be compensated.

No comments:

Post a Comment